Welcome to the NORCH!
On behalf of the Administrative Core, we would like to welcome and extend our appreciation to all our returning and new members, and to inform the community of our newly re-organized Center.
We are very pleased to introduce our first official Monthly Newsletter!
The NORCH is under new leadership and has re-organized. Many updates have been in progress over the last few months, including our NEW & IMPROVED WEBSITE; please visit and browse at: www.norch.org (we recommend using a Chrome browser if available). Anyone can subscribe to this newsletter through a form provided on the website as well.
Our contact information has been updated, including a new email address: HarvardNORC@mgh.harvard.edu. Please feel free to reach out with any and all questions/suggestions/comments. The goal of the NORCH is to facilitate YOUR research and knowledge sharing, so we welcome constructive feedback from all our members and subscribers.
Surgical Treatment of Obesity: Physiological Mechanisms & Clinical Effects
Our 18th annual symposium will beheld on Wednesday, July 12th – Thursday, July 13th at the Joseph B. Martin Conference Center located at 77 Avenue Louis Pasteur Boston, MA.
Registration is free and we encourage you to attend, along with any students/faculty/other professionals whom you think may benefit from 2 days of thoughtful research presentations and interactive discussion. Please disseminate info about this event!
Contact: HarvardNORC@mgh.harvard.edu with any inquiries. Click Here to REGISTER NOW
New Cores & Leadership
See our newly re-organized structure, including new cores: Metabolic Phenotyping & Metabolic Imaging on our website. Visit our Cores Page on our website to find out more.
Meet the new leadership
- Dr. Steven Grinspoon, MGH, Director of the NORCH & PI of the Program in Nutritional Metabolism
- Dr. Chris Duggan, BCH, Pediatric Enteral Nutrition and Nutrition Enrichment & Boston Children’s Hospital
- Dr. Lee Kaplan, MGH, PI of the Weight Center & Center for Nutrition and Metabolism
- Dr. Alex Soukas, MGH, Metabolic Phenotyping Core
- Dr. Rob Gerszten, BIDMC, Metabolic Phenotyping Core
- Dr. Martin Torriani, MGH, Metabolic Imaging Core
- Dr. Georges El-Fakhri, MGH, Metabolic Imaging Core
- Dr. Bruce Rosen, MGH, Metabolic Imaging Core
- Dr. Fred Ausubel, MGH, Genomics and Cell Biology Core
- Dr. Alessio Fasano, MGH, Genomics and Cell Biology Core
The Executive Committee includes the Center and Core Leadership, Dr. Allan Walker (MGH), Dr. Walter Willet (HSPH), Dr. Rebecca Betensky (HSPH) and Dr. Emily Oken (HSPH)
Events @ NORCH Affiliates
Harvard School of Public Health
Friday 3/3/17– Microbial Sciences Initiative (MSI); Chalktalk Breakfast: D. Kwon; The role of the microbiome in HIV acquisition and disease progression
Tuesday 3/14/17– Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Obesity; Dr. Fatima Cody Stanford
Brigham and Women’s Hospital
Friday 3/24/17—CVDM: Frontiers in Biomedical Science Seminar Series; George King, MD and Kyoungmin Park, PhD and Gail Adler, PhD, MD
Joslin Diabetes Center
Monday 3/27/17— A Taste of Ginger; a culinary and cultural experience to benefit Joslin’s Asian American Diabetes Initiative (AADI)
Wednesday 3/15/17- Saturday 3/18— Renal Nutrition Training Program; hosted by UNC at Chapel Hill, Department of Nutrition
Please visit our NORCH grant-cited publications on PubMed for the full article and many others! Or search Grant #DK040561.
Recent Publications Citing the NORCH
Click on the links below to view!
- The NBS-LRR architectures of plant R-proteins and metazoan NLRs evolved in independent events.
- Influence of maternal breast milk ingestion on acquisition of the intestinal microbiome in preterm infants.
- Choice architecture to promote fruit and vegetable purchases by families participating in the Special Supplemental Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC): randomized corner store pilot study.
- Effects of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy on bone mineral density and marrow adipose tissue.
- Fat accumulation in the tongue is associated with male gender, abnormal upper airway patency and whole-body adiposity.
- Statin Effects to Reduce Hepatosteatosis as Measured by Computed Tomography in Patients With Human Immunodeficiency Virus.
The News from other NORC’s
Boston Nutrition Research Center @ Boston University
- BNORC’s Frank Hu is now the new Chair of the Department of Nutrition, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.
New York Obesity Research Center @ Columbia University
- Seminar Series Event- 3/1/17- presented by: Jonathan Krakoff, MD; “Does Energy Expenditure Mediate Weight Gain or Loss?”
- Seminar Series Event- 3/8/17- presented by: Michael Schwartz, MD; “Understanding Brain Control of Glucose Homeostasis: implications for the Pathogenesis and Treatment of Diabetes”
- Seminar Series Event- 3/15/17- presented by: Dympna Gallagher, PhD; “Offspring body composition at birth: An RCT on prevention of excess gestational weight gain in women with overweight and obesity”
Nutrition Obesity Research Center @ University of Alabama at Birmingham
- David B. Allison, PhD has been elected as a Fellow to the Academy of Behavioral Medicine Research (ABMR)
- Camille Schneider, MS, RD was recently chosen to join TOS’s Early Career Member Committee.
Nutrition Obesity Research Center @ the University of Washington
- Seminar Series Event- 3/8/17- presented by: Jesper Gromada, PhD; “Mechanisms of crosstalk between the liver and the endocrine pancreas”
Subscribe to NORCH Monthly Newsletter Here
Our mailing address is:
Nutrition Obesity Research Center at Harvard Medical School
Massachusetts General Hospital
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114